3 Fun & Easy HIIT Workouts To Try At Home
You can build up your speed, endurance, and athletic performance just by exercising regularly for less than 30 minutes a day. It may sound too good to be true, but including HIIT workouts in your training schedule can help to maintain a fast speed for a longer period of time and improve your muscle power and strength.
One way to make your High Intensity Training (HIT) workouts more efficient is to organize them in intervals – turn them into High Intensity Interval Training.
Such HIIT workouts would involve a set of exercises that will increase your heart rate followed by a short period of rest. Typically, you’ll do a set of exercises for a number of cycles.
If you want to amp up your athletic performance but have limited time, HIIT exercises in this post are a good place to get started.
What You Need for Effective HIIT Workouts
Before starting, you might want to invest in the right tools to power your HIIT workouts. These can add a lot of variety and fun into your training.
Start with getting a slip-resistant exercise or yoga mat, as well as a microfiber towel. You should also look at investing in a pair of dumbbells or kettlebells. If you don’t have the space to store them, resistance bands can be good alternatives. The NY Times’ list of best resistance bands recommends Bodylastics’ Stackable Tube Resistance Bands, which are made with woven cords that help prevent overstretching. If you want to improve your coordination, a great and inexpensive tool is jumping rope!
Also, you can make your HIIT workouts more motivating with a bit of music. If you’re working up a sweat at home, you might want to keep the volume down to be considerate to your neighbors, so consider investing in a pair of in-ear headphones instead. Adorama’s selection of audio equipment shows how there is a wide a range of wireless earbuds designed to accompany daily workouts. The AirPods Pro (not the regular AirPods) and Sony’s WI-SP500 are both sweat proof making them perfect for sports and movement. Another benefit of using earphones is that they will help you hear the interval timer over the soundtrack better.
Finally, download a reliable Tabata timer app to more easily follow your work and rest intervals. Healthline’s feature of Tabata apps presents several free and paid apps that will help you time your workout. For example, Tabata Stopwatch Pro is a free timer that is great for beginners and advanced users. Look for timers with customizable settings so that you can tailor it for your preferred HIIT workout.
HIIT Workouts You Can Do at Home
Now, for the workouts. We’ve scoured the internet for a variety of effective and fun HIIT exercises for all levels. Here are three you might want to try:
15-Minute Bodyweight Fat Burning HIIT Workout
Level: Beginner to Advanced
Equipment: Yoga Mat
- Squat to Knee Drive x 30 seconds
- Reverse Plank Marches x 30 seconds
- Shoulder Tap Plank Jacks x 30 seconds
- Kneel to Squat Thrust x 30 seconds
- Explosive Jacks x 30 seconds
*Rest after each exercise for 30 seconds.
*Repeat the circuit for a total of 3 rounds.
20-Minute Jump Rope HIIT:
Level: Beginner to Advanced
Equipment: Jump Rope and Open Space
Warm Up: Cardio Warm Up x 60 seconds (Follow Along the Video)
- Regular Bounce Fast & Slow x 20 seconds
- Run in Place Moving Front to Back x 20 seconds
- Double Side Swipe x 20 seconds
- Push-ups x 20 seconds
- Diagonal Straddle x 20 seconds
- Feet Xs x 20 seconds
- Sprint x 20 seconds
- Ab Crunchers x 20 seconds
*Rest after each exercise for 10 seconds.
*Rest after each set for 1 minute.
*Do at least 2-3 cycles.
*Optional: End of workout burner: Sprint + Double Unders x 60 seconds
25-Minute Kettlebell Tabata Workout
Level: Intermediate to Advanced
Equipment: Weights and Yoga Mat
Warm Up: Quick Warm Up x 45 seconds (Follow Along the Video)
- Left Side Lunge with Right Arm Cross x 20 seconds
- Kettlebell Rows using Right Arm x 20 seconds
- Right Side Lunge with Left Arm Cross x 20 seconds
- Kettlebell Rows using Left Arm x 20 seconds
- Optional Cardio Interval: Cross Jacks x 20 seconds
- Squats with Kettlebell Touchdown x 20 seconds
- Curl and Press x 20 seconds
- Kettlebell Hug Squat x 20 seconds
- Curl and Press with Knee Raise x 20 seconds
- Optional Cardio Interval: Standing Fire Hydrants x 20 seconds
- Right Lunge with Kettlebell in Right Hand x 20 seconds
- Lunge and Twist to the Left x 20 seconds
- Left Lunge with Kettlebell in Left Hand x 20 seconds
- Lunge and Twist to the Right x 20 seconds
- Optional Cardio Interval: Jumping Jacks x 20 seconds
- Two Handed Kettlebell Swings x 20 seconds
- Right Hand Kettlebell Swings x 20 seconds
- Left Hand Kettlebell Swings x 20 seconds
- Alternating Hands Kettlebell Swings x 20 seconds
- Optional Cardio Interval: Knee Raises x 20 seconds
- Burpees x 20 seconds
- Push Up and Row x 20 seconds
- Mountain Climbers x 20 seconds
- Russian Twists with Kettlebells x 20 seconds
*Rest after each exercise for 10 seconds
*Repeat each exercise twice for every circuit
*After each circuit rest or do optional cardio intervals for 1 minute
These HIIT workouts only require a few minutes, so what are you waiting for? Get your blood pumping and reap the benefits of a good HIIT workout session!
Bethany is a fitness enthusiast on the way to becoming a qualified personal trainer. Since she was young, Bethany has been into sports, particularly outdoor sports like cycling, hiking, and rock climbing. She is currently working on building a blog dedicated to helping others get fit and have better control of their own lives.
Did you find this information useful? Share the post with others using the buttons below.
Are you looking to achieve peak fitness? Or are preparing for a specific adventure? Maybe you are looking to develop a more resilient mindset and integrate training into a busy lifestyle? Whatever your goals are, I can help you develop a balanced training plan and coach you to reach your full potential. Reach out via this page and lets get started.
GET A FREE TRAINING PLAN
Subscribe to my email list and get access to a free 4-week “back in shape” training plan
You’ll also get a €25 coupon off your first Airbnb rental and other goodies
How did I get here?
Hey there! My name is Andrejs and I am here to inspire, entertain and get you fit for any adventure.
I went from being an over trained pro athlete to a blogger sharing how not to waste time and live life to the fullest.
Traveling, new sports and activities brought new meaning to my training and made it much more effective, fun and enjoyable.